Families In Transition
McKinney-Vento Homelessness Program
If your family lives in any of the following situations:
- In a shelter, motel, vehicle, or campground
- On the street
- In an abandoned building, trailer, or other inadequate accommodations, or
- Doubled up with friends or relatives because you cannot find or afford housing
then, your school-aged children have certain rights or protections under the McKinney-Vento Homeless Education Assistance Act.
If you feel that you may be eligible under the McKinney Vento Act, please complete the Student Residency Questionnaire Form at your child’s school office or contact your school's local education liaison.
Shelter and Housing Needs Information
- www.ArizonaSelfHelp.org (Free confidential way to find out if you qualify for various community benefits)
- National Center for Homeless Education
- EveryoneOn: providing low-cost internet service and refurbished computers
- Dental Schools here in the Valley that offer free or reduced-cost dental services
24-Hour Shelter Availability Hotline: 1-800-799-7739
Get Involved & Volunteer!
- Dysart Community Center – Adult Education Tutors – For more information, contact dcc.alexmejia or call 623-974-4156
- Northwest Valley Connect – Call (623) 282 9300 https://northwestvalleyconnect.org/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=84433&module_id=392263
- Hospice of the Valley - Join our volunteer family at https://hov.org/volunteer/ or call 602-636-6336
- Benevilla - https://benevilla.org/volunteer-opportunities/
- Saguaro Janes Food Distribution – Every Thursday – 6am-1pm – For more information, call 623-388-2683
- Surprise Day of Service – Monthly - https://surpriseaz.gov/433/Surprise-Day-of-Service
- Surprise Resource Center – Rent, utility, benefit & employment services. 623-222-1600. 12425 W. Bell Rd. Bldg. A, Ste. #124, Surprise
- Surprise Senior Services - Surprise Senior Center is the hub for activities and program for adults age 50 and better and adults with disabilities. We offer a place for people to gather, learn, exercise, socialize, and enjoy a hot lunch. To learn more, call 623-222-1500 and/or visit https://surpriseaz.gov/406/Senior-Services
- Area Agency of Aging – Resource Guide, Maricopa County - https://www.aaaphx.org/
- Alzheimer’s Association – Resources for people with Alzheimer’s and related dementias and their families and friends. 24/7 Helpline – (800) 272-3900. https://www.alz.org/
- Arizona Children’s Association - foster care & adoption, behavioral health & trauma/crisis response, family connections, family education & support services, and successful transition to adulthood. www.ArizonasChildren.org or call 800.944.7611.
- Banner Sun Health Institute –Center for Health Aging, Free Brain Health Checks, and other resources. Call 623-832-6500 or visit BannerSHRI.com
- Benevilla - HOME Services Program – FREE program for seniors. Groceries, errands, etc. 623-584-4999
- Community Resource Guide
- Community Legal Services - Eviction and housing related legal services help. https://clsaz.org/legal-practice-areas/housing-law/
- Community Fund of Sun City West – Financial assistance for residents of Sun City West. 623-546-1122
- COVID-19 Vaccine Transportation Resource –
- Dysart Community Center, DCC Kids Club - Before & After School Program, with transportation at Surprise location, full and partial scholarships available, based on income. Food Boxes available on first Wednesday of month. 623-583-2137
- EPCOR – Assistance Programs available - https://www.epcor.com/account-billing/paying-your-bill/assistance-programs/Pages/default.aspx
- EricsHouse -Ericshouse is a 501c3 non-profit organization based in Phoenix who serve people left behind by someone who has succumbed to suicide or substance abuse. Phone 1-855-5658. Suicide Prevention Hotline, 1-800-273-8255. https://www.ericshouse.org/
- First Things First – Early Childhood Agency; Committed to the healthy development and learning of young children from birth to age 5. https://www.firstthingsfirst.org/
- HOPE Women’s Center – Support for women & children, bill/utility assistance. Free Classes, Free pregnancy testing, Mentoring Support. 623-875-4549.
- Parents of Addicted Loved Ones (PAL) - provides hope through education and support to parents of adults dealing with substance use disorder. Free weekly support groups of parents helping parents, use an evidence-based curriculum created by professionals in the treatment and recovery field.
- Radiant Changed Life Center – free food and clothing Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday from 9-11a at Radiant Sun City 10701 W. Boswell Blvd. Sun City 623-975-2662
- Reveal Church – Revive Foundation – Food Bank on First Saturday of each month. 13015 W Greenway Rd, El Mirage at 9am
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul, Food, Rent, Utilities & More -St. Clare of Assisi Conference (Surprise residents) Call Help Line at 623-975-5617. Our Lady of Lourdes Conference (Surprise & El Mirage residents) – Call 623-344-7267.
- Salvation Army – FREE breakfast Mondays and Thursdays except on Holidays 7:30am-9am. Seniors or those who are food insecure, food boxes available from 9am – 12pm, 1pm - 4pm. 17420 Ave of the Arts, Surprise. 623-977-1084
- Supportive Care for Dementia – Free program helps families living with all stages of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias. There is no charge for this in-home program. Call 602-530-6920 to enroll. Details: https://hov.org/dementia/supportive-care-for-dementia-program/
- Sun Health Memory Care Navigator Program - Free for people with dementia and their loved ones, focusing on in-home assessment of needs, referrals to services and supports, education, and help with the challenges of memory loss. Classes and caregiver support groups are also available. 623-471-9300. https://www.sunhealthwellness.org/memory-care-navigator
- Valley View Food Bank – 10771 W. Peoria Ave, Sun City. 623-933-3358
- NW Valley Interfaith Homeless Emergency Lodging Program (I-Help) - Our staff is in the City of Surprise Resource Center office for intakes and appointments: Mondays, Tuesdays, and Wednesdays 9 a.m.- 2 p.m. For more information, please call Leandra 623-222-1659.
- Veterans Treatment Court –14264 W. Tierra Buena Lane, Surprise, AZ 85374. 602-372-2000 option 3. https://judgedonaldwatts.com/
- Vitalant – Blood Donation - https://vitalant.org/, 877-25-VITAL
- Youngtown Community Fund – Medical Equipment Lending Center – We loan durable medical equipment at no cost up to 4 months to residents of the Northwest Valley. 11215 W Nevada Ave, Youngtown. Monday through Saturday: 9 – 1pm. [email protected].